If you are an entrepreneur, freelancer or corporation, you are automatically required to file a tax return to report GST and QST on your corporate income.
For many business owners, the GST and QST registration raises some questions of varying importance like how to calculate the tax returns or what ID is needed. T2Inc's experts explain the essential points to know when registering for GST and QST with Revenu Quebec.
Who should register their business for GST and QST?
Generally speaking, most people who carry out any paid commercial activity must register for GST and QST with Revenu Québec. This is a government mandated formality for companies with small supplier status:
- If your total taxable supplies and services exceed $30,000 during a calendar quarter or for the four quarters preceding it
- If you have a cab or limousine service
- If you charge admission to the public for events that take place in Quebec (even if you are not a resident of Quebec)
However, if you carry on any of the following activities in Quebec, you must register for QST and collect the tax, regardless of the amount of your sales (even if the total is less than $30,000):
- Sale of tobacco products
- Sale of fuel
- Sale of alcoholic beverages
- Sale or lease of road vehicles for a period of more than 12 months
- Sale or rental of new tires
When do you register for QST and GST?
Before you can calculate QST or GST with Revenu Quebec, you need to register your business. The deadline to register is different depending on whether you want to register for GST or QST.
Registering QST with Revenu Quebec
For QST, the company must register before providing its first taxable service in Quebec. In this case, it must also collect this tax upon registration or when it was supposed to register.
Registering GST with Revenu Quebec
For GST, the company must apply before the 30th day following the day the company made the billing of its first taxable service in Canada. Collection of GST is applicable upon registration or when it was supposed to register.
What information do you need to register your business for GST and QST?
To complete your GST and QST registration for Revenu Quebec, you will need to provide the following information and documentation:
- Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- Quebec Business Number from the Registraire des Entreprises (if applicable)
- Canada Revenue Agency Business Number (if applicable)
- Business name of the company (if applicable)
- Primary business activity of the company and secondary activities (if applicable)
- Date of commencement of the business
- Total taxable sales that the business plans to make in Canada in the next 12 months
- Home address and telephone number
- Business address and telephone number
- Correspondence address
You may also apply on behalf of a third party without a power of attorney. In addition to the information and documents listed above, you will also need to provide the following personal information:
- First and last name
- Date of birth
- Last three digits of your social insurance number
Where to register for GST and QST
You can register through a variety of channels. Each has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. You can choose from the following methods:
- By phone, at 514 873-4692 for Montreal, at 418 659-4692 for Quebec or at 1 800 567-4692 (toll free)
- Online, on the Revenu Québec website
- By mail, by filling out the form and sending it to: "Direction principale des relations avec la clientèle des entreprises de Revenu Québec, C. P. 3000, succursale Place-Desjardins, Montréal (Québec) H5B 1A4", for the Montréal, Laval, Laurentides, Lanaudière and Montérégie regions or to "Direction principale des relations avec la clientèle des entreprises, Revenu Québec, 3800 rue de Marly, Québec, G1X4A5", for Québec and the other regions
T2Inc can help you register for GST and QST
It is an important administrative duty to register your business with Revenu Québec for your GST and QST, otherwise it may be detrimental to your overall business. This is why our tax specialists are available to help you register and calculate your Quebec taxes.
Contact us today for support with all aspects of corporate taxation, whether you have just started your business or it is well on its way.